Hey everyone! Happy July! I hope you all are doing well and trying new things. My something new was semi-successful this week. Since I was so excited about the writing space I created for myself last week, I decided that this week I was going to create a new routine for myself so I would be more likely to use the space every day. My workday doesn’t start until the afternoon, so my plan was to set my alarm, wake up, get ready, write for an hour, then still have a little time to relax before I had to leave for work. It was a perfect plan, I wouldn’t have to go to bed really early, I would still get eight hours of sleep. No problem, right? Eh… maybe, maybe not.
I did actually stick to that routine for two days. But for the rest of the week I was unable to stick to my desired wake up time. I thought it would be easier after day 1 because I was so tired all day from waking up early that I figured I’d have no trouble getting to sleep a little earlier than normal. Yet that just didn’t happen. Does anyone else notice that sometimes regardless of when you woke up or how exhausted you feel all day, when it finally comes time to go to sleep your brain suddenly wakes up and flat out refuses to cooperate? So, that was part of this issue, another part was that this week I seemed to have trouble sleeping in general. I woke up every 2-3 hours every night, and I have no idea why. Finally, I ended up having to stay late at work 3 out of 5 days. It was a pain in the butt, but that’s what happens when you are dealing with live TV; things don’t always go according to plan. As a result, I didn’t always get an hour of writing in before work, but I did write every day, and made my hour writing goal 4 out of 7 days.
Clearly there is room for improvement, but the daily writing did result in an unexpected achievement. On Wednesday, I had an idea for a children’s book inspired by my friend’s daughters (the friend and kids I wrote about in Week 22). That is what I set out to write for the remainder of the week, and I am happy to report that I have completed the first draft. The finished story bears very little resemblance to the initial idea I had in my head, but that is beside the point. I don’t want to give it all away, but my elevator pitch for the story is:
The letters of the alphabet are preparing to sing their song to the kids at school, but Z is missing.
Next week my goal is to edit the story and draw some illustrations for it. Wish me luck!